Core Competencies of Management and Leadership
Developing the core competencies of management and leadership can help you become a better manager and leader and boost your career. The truth is it takes time and there are no shortcuts. The key is to get going…
I recently got to work outlining the traits, attitudes, skills and knowledge required to become a good manager and leader. I ended up with a list of items and then compiled them into categories that I think make sense. Those categories include staying focused on outcomes; mastering daily management; mastering strategic management and mastering self management. It’s in the early stages of development, and I haven’t yet written any definitions of the categories.
See what you think…
Staying Focused on Outcomes
- Working with Your Manager
- Collaborative Goal Setting and Alignment
- Designing the Customer Experience
- Keeping Score
Mastering Daily Management
- Directing and Delegating
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Mastering Performance Feedback
- Managing Budgets/Resources
- Managing Conflict
- Managing Core Processes
Mastering Strategic Management
- Becoming a Systems Thinker
- Developing Vision, Mission, Values, Strategy (incl. KPIs/Scorecards)
- Managing Key Initiatives and Projects
- Managing Change
- Developing a Motivating and Collaborative Environment
- Developing Your Staff
Mastering Self Management
- Developing Greater Self Awareness
- Presenting and Influencing
- Developing Your Listening Skills
- Managing Your Time and Priorities
Now here’s some questions to ask yourself. The answers may just help you become a better manager and leader, and also give your career a big boost.
Based on your experience…
- Which items do you think need most attention in the business world?
- Which items are most important?
- Which items do you personally need to improve on?
- Which items are you strongest on?
- What’s missing from this list?
Core competencies are designed to help you identify and then work on your strengths and remedy your weaknesses. The key is to get to work…
The Work of Leaders self assessment provides insightful commentary and advice on how to be an authentic and visionary leader. Take the profile online and discover your strengths and challenges when…
- Developing a Shared Vison
- Creating Alignment around the Vision
- Executing the Vision
The self-assessment uses the latest version of the DiSC Model of Personality and is a result of over four years of research and testing. It takes only fifteen to twenty minutes to complete, and you receive a full report online. A sample report is available for download.