Effective communication depends on the clarity, speech style, and tone conveyed by the person sending the message, as well as the ability of the listener to attend to the message. But listening effectively is more than just hearing. Listening is the ability to receive and interpret verbal messages and other cues, like body language, in order to respond in ways that are appropriate to the purpose.
This workshop is designed to help participants identify their preferred Listening Approach, or attitude. Participants also develop an appreciation for other Listening Approaches that may be more effective in different environments or situations for communication purposes.
In this workshop participants will:
- Explore role of listening in communication
- Learn about five approaches to listening
- Discover their own approach, strengths and challenges
- Practice using approaches in appropriate situations
- Create action plans to apply their new skills